LGCmain
Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology
Home About us Instructions Submission Subscribe Advertise Contact e-Alerts Ahead Of Print Login 
Users Online: 1119
Print this page  Email this page Bookmark this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Year : 1996  |  Volume : 39  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 121-5

Characterisation of Vibrio cholerae 0139 isolated from diarrhoeal stools.


Department of Microbiology, University College of Medical Sciences, Shahdara, Delhi

Correspondence Address:
R Mahajan
Department of Microbiology, University College of Medical Sciences, Shahdara, Delhi

Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


PMID: 9401240

Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

A total of 174 samples of acute diarrhoeal stools received over a period of seven months, yielded 101 isolated morphologically and biochemically resembling Vibro cholerae. Serologically, 57(56.4 per cent) of the 101 isolates were identified as V. cholerae 01 and remaining 44 (43.6 per cent) as V. cholerae 0139. Keeping in mind the unique potential of 0139 among non 01 vibrio to cause epidemics, we decided to undertake the study of biochemical characters and physiological behaviour of all the 44 V. cholerae 0139 isolates. All the stains were Voges Proskauer's test positive' haemagglutinating and grew in the presence of 6 per cent sodium chloride. 13 (29.5 per cent) strains showed haemolytic activity. Nine (20.5 per cent) were polymyxin-B sensitive and 4 (9.0 per cent) fermented lactose. All the isolates showed considerable degree of homogeneity in their biochemical and physiological properties, some characters define them to be closer to El Tor biotype.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed487    
    Printed41    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded67    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal